Saturday, September 27, 2014

Aqua, red and orange

I ca't believe I have actually finished a quilt. It's not a big quilt, but it's a finish.  I wanted to make a quilt for the Mary Potter Hospice, after I saw that Shay had made a couple of quilts for this wonderful cause.

This quilt was originally intended to be a gift for someone, but after I had started sewing it together, I realised that it probably wasn't quite right for the intended recipient.  So the pieces languished in a box for over a year.  I wanted to make something quick for the hospice. As you all know I am the queen of procrastination,  and usually take years to finish anything, but I remembered I had the blocks half sewn and pulled them out.  These were cut from a layer cake and I can't remember for the life of me the name of the pattern, but it was a free one I found on the internet.  I can't remember the name of the fabric either, other than it was a Riley Blake line.
For the hospice, the quilt has to be no more than 48 inches square. As I already had these blocks cut and they were 9 inches finished, I went with a 45 inch square layout.

The excess blocks were used in the backing. The rest of the backing was from my stash too, which was an almost perfect match to the Riley Blake fabric.

 I wanted to have a scrappy binding, so I carefully unpicked the rest of the blocks that were left, and cut pieces for the binding strips. Unfortunately I didn't have enough, but I found a Bella solids jelly roll in aqua, hiding in the back of a drawer, which matched almost perfectly.

I quilted 1/4 inch either side of some of the seams, and also added some random lines to make sure it was quilted enough.  The hospice prefer the quilts to be lightly quilted so they stay soft.

Now I just need to wash and dry it so it's all nice and crinkly and send it on it's way.