Sunday, May 2, 2010

More money than sense


Do you remember these from a couple of weeks ago?




I had huge problems trying to find sashing to go with my Martinique coin quilt. I had an idea of what I wanted but couldn't find any solid fabric that would replicate my idea. Why am I not surprised!!!!!
I settled on a soft blue/green that I thought would work, and it does, it just doesn't look like what I had pictured in my head.



I even sent an email to the Fat Quarter Shop, asking them for advice, and they were very helpful, but they could not help with a match to what I wanted.

I finally decided I needed to purchase a Kona solid color card.  
Of course, 
it was a brilliant idea........ 
how easy is that...................................... 
it would have been, if there was even one left for sale in the whole world. 
I tried everywhere to find one, none, nada, zip.  
I found a Bella solids card, which I bought, and I am very happy with, but no Kona solids card.

I was getting desperate, I don't know why because I haven't made a thing in the last couple of weeks, but at the time, I was very very desperate. Then I had a brainwave, I realized I could buy Kona solid charms instead. No matter that it would cost almost $40. My reasoning, that if I have the charms, they are much bigger swatches than are on the colour chart, and I can always use them in my quilts when I don't need them anymore. I bit the bullet and ordered them.
They arrived........... 
my almost $40 of Kona charm squares, 
oooh how exciting all those beautiful colours.................. and, 
then the dilemma,........................................ 
I might have every Kona solid color in 5" squares, 
but I have no idea of the name of each colour square.........
GREAT. 

I had visions of sitting at the computer holding each swatch up to the screen trying to figure out which colour it is.  Fortunately, I thought about it for awhile and then found that Robert Kaufmann have a list and colour pic of each colour in the charm packs, yippeeeeee. Now all I have to do is sit down and go through the list and match up the colours. I am still trying to figure out how to attach a non-permanent name to each square.

It was a great, expensive idea, but I think I would have been better waiting for the Kona Colour Card, which by the way was back in stock less than a week later.

 C'est la vie!

2 comments:

  1. Marg, I have missed you and was just about to jump on a plane to find out where you have been hiding! I am happy to see you finally post! I am hoping you will send an answer to my yarn question.

    I really like the quilt and I like the color of sashing that you chose. Working with color is my least favorite part of quilting! That and the quilting part (hmmm... why do I quilt?) I think it was great that you purchased the Kona Charms, you just never know when you will need them. I purchased some Moda Charms and made Table Runners for the Moms for Mothers Day and I liked them so much I went out and bought some for myself! I agree with the statement "you can never have too much fabric."

    Glad you are still alive and well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only person that did things like that...have you figured out how to label them?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave a comment and please make sure you have reply email set up so I can reply to you.